But how are they to call on Him in whom they have not believed? And how are they to believe in Him of whom they have never heard? And how are they to hear without someone preaching? -Romans 10:14-15

Sunday, February 21, 2016

A Night in the Big City

There I was. 12 AM on a Thursday morning. Freezing temperatures. Wind mixed with rain. Standing on top of a bridge. God only knows where Dublin suburb. That, my friend, would be the problem. I literally had no idea where I was. 

20 minutes previously I'd gotten the last train from Dublin headed to Donabate. And here I was, no longer on the train.... Frantically phoning my team mate in Donabate, Courtney, (whom I was supposed to be spending the night with). Trying to not panic. 

At long last she answered the phone. "I think I got on the wrong train from Dublin.... (ever the dumb blonde), I need the number for a cab!" (Thank God, she'd gotten us to take a cab back at Christmas, or else I probably would have tried walking...) Poor thing, Courtney texted me 2 numbers. 

"Hello? Yes! I need a cab to Donabate."
"Ok. Where are you?" 
...."Port..mar...nock..."
"Where?"
"Port-mar-nock". 
"I'm sorry, where?" 
D*! 
"PORTMARNOCK!"
"Oh! Ok... yeah that'll be 40 minutes." 
"...Grand. Thanks"

40 Minutes? I don't think so! 

So I phoned the second number Courtney gave me. 

"Where are you?" 
....
(Do they seriously not have a tracking device they can use to find where I am?)
"Port...mar..nock"
"We'll have a cab out for you in 10 minutes." 
Win! 

So, thus you find me at midnight standing on a bridge. Waiting for a cab. Not in the least bit suspicious. 

The thought hits me as the cab pulls up, and I climb into a warm, safe car, yet feeling very sketch at the same time; in the past week I have spent significant time in 3 cities, 3 countries. 2 time zones. " Who is this girl? Is this real? Is this really my life?" 

The story gets better. Remember how I'd thought (hoped) I'd gotten on the wrong train? Turns out, I was on the right train. Just got a little eager-beaver and hopped off too soon. Truly the dumb blonde. 

Courtney told me the next morning as I was explaining what-a happened that she was already in bed asleep, when I called. Further more, sleeps with her phone on silent. (Now, panic starts to hit. What would have happened if she hadn't answered? I had no plan C!) Thank you Jesus though, she had her Fitbit on, and because it's connected to her phone, it picked up my call.

So now, on to Belfast and pretending this never happened! 




No comments:

Post a Comment