But how are they to call on Him in whom they have not believed? And how are they to believe in Him of whom they have never heard? And how are they to hear without someone preaching? -Romans 10:14-15

Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Hidden Blessings

I think I've written about this before, hidden blessings. Sometimes I'm a slow learner, or sometimes I just need to learn something multiple times. What I'm learning (slowly apparently) is that the more desperate I am for God, the more I need Him, so the more I look for Him.... And the more I find Him. So... just maybe coming to that place where we "need" God, isn't a bad thing. I just make it out to be, because it hurts the pride a bit that I might have had to come to the end of myself.... "We are built for the valley, for the ordinary stuff we are in, and that is where we have to prove our mettle." -Oswald Chambers

Rambling!!

When all I was going to do was share 2 experiences from today of hidden blessings.

I called a local non-denominational church this afternoon, to find out about their partnering with me as I go to Ireland. In about a 30 second conversation the receptionist was able to establish that I was not a member of their church and thus was able to tell me that they only supported members going to the mission field. Hanging up, the first thought was "Thank you for not wasting any more of my time or hope". (One more church to check of the list!) Second thought... "seriously though, I'd really like to get the field, how is that going to happen?!". There's another church that I've been trying to get a hold of for the past 3 weeks. To no avail. Almost scratched them off the list, (how many times do I have to call and leave a message before someone either answers or calls back??). But in a moment of desperation I totally pulled a Gideon's Fleece. Which I know you're really not supposed to do.... Almost in tears, I said a very off handed prayer "if You want me in Ireland this fall, they're actually going to answer the phone this time". Dialed. 3 rings and a "hello, this is Blank church." Speechless. It literately took me several seconds to collect my thoughts and say "hi! This is...".

Ok, God!! Ireland in the fall is it??

Naturally, I didn't pray in that off handed prayer that this church would not only answer their phone, but that they would partner with me... So as excited as I am that I actually talked to someone, they may never get in touch with me. The point for me is God's (re)confirmation that He wants me in Ireland. Regardless of how it happens, I just need to trust Him.

The second little thing that happened was getting a random call to babysit Friday night. Those of you that know me, probably wonder why this is a big deal, because I'm "always" babysitting. The big deal for me was the who it was and the timing. Just when I had again flippantly prayed that God would provide me with some form of work for this summer. The who was someone I'd babysat for once last summer. I see them every now and then, and just presumed that they didn't like me..... I'm just humbled by how the God that cares for even the sparrows, cares about me, and my petty problems of work.... (Matthew 10.29-31)

See? Hidden blessings. But I have to be at that point when I'm desperate, to be looking for them. Why is that?? 

Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD, whose trust is the LORD. He is like a tree planted by water, that sends out its roots by the stream, and does not fear when heat comes, for it's leaves remain green, and is not anxious in the year of drought, for it does not cease to bear fruit. -Jeremiah 17.7-8

No comments:

Post a Comment